Activision Makes a Hero'ic Change

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by FyreeTSG, Feb 10, 2011.

1. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

GUITAR HERO SAYS "FAREWELL"

Big news coming out of Activision.

The "Guitar Hero" series is ending--months before the latest version was slated for release.

Also on the slate to be cancelled was the upcoming "True Crime: Hong Kong".

This news hits weeks after Bizarre Creations, owned by Activision, was dissolved.

An Activision exec, Cody Johnson explained that they had tried to find a buyer for Bizarre Creations--but no other Video Game companies were interested.

Activision seems to be focusing more on new, more promising opportunities--(if you're thinking 3DS, you're probably not TOO far off).

Part of the reason Activision is cancelling the "Guitar Hero" series, which was the FIRST big Music-Based game that launched one of the biggest revolutions in gaming last decade, ending--it seems to be a sign that the whole Music-based gaming genre is slowly losing its appeal.

Plus it seems as Guitar Hero was losing its luster, it's biggest rival, the "Rockband" series seems to be staying afloat.

But with Activision closing one of its bigger studios, and now ending "Guitar Hero", what do they have left?

But then again, it seems to be a sign of the time, and Generation.

----FyreeTSG

Source: CheatCC.com

2. Mason

Mason Well-Known Member Junior Member

Well just because they're quitting the series doesn't mean the games are gonna be on sale. I mean they're still decent games.

3. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

true---

I was reading an article on CheatCC about the company who Activision bought Guitar Hero from--and they were angry at Activision for basically running GH into the ground...

--which I can see, saying the series probably got TOO big for itself, and they decided to end it before it winded up costing them more than it was making

4. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

Exactly, it's not like other game series where you change the story or gameplay from game to game to keep it interesting. The only thing I know that keeps the series fresh is the different types of songs from game to game and that alone can only keep a series alive for so long.

Though I don't really play Guitar Hero so maybe I'm missing something else that changes from game to game besides the soundtrack. Perhaps someone more familiar on the subject could enlighten me?

5. Mason

Guitar Hero did get different instruments just not until World Tour. Another thing is it's name is Guitar Hero. It wasn't made as a band game like Rock Band. I never have owned a RB game I guess because I plsyed GH first. The storyline I personally don't care about. As long as it has good songs, guitars, and characters I'm happy.

6. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

same here...I mainly love the games cause of the GREAT music...

but just playing GUITAR gets really boring--

Rock Band gave Music-Genre gamers OPTIONS---
    Guitar, Drums, Singing--and Rock Band 3 brought in Keyboards--
    Being able to have up to 4 players playing a song--each with their own instrument--makes it alot more entertaining than JUST a Guitar...

7. Mason

Yea, but one GH came first so it's competition had time to see what they could do different. They had the advantage. The benefit of going first is people get yours first and become loyal to your game. Second it may be boring just playing it but that's why they named it guitar not band or anything else they could've. That's what it was made for at the time. So I mean being under the shadow of RB with more gameplay options it still done really well.

8. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

yeah...

but once Rock Band came out, and fans saw that it had MORE to offer than Guitar Hero--ALOT of people switched series.

plus Activision cannabalized the Franchise....
    they tried TOO hard to compete w/ Rock Band if you ask me...

either way, the Music Genre of games is dying anyway...
    I have a feeling Rock Band 3 will be the last of the genre

9. Mason

I have an idea they should use as a theme on a last one if they want to quit. RB got the beatles but they could use GNR(Guns n' Roses) version. The beatles aren't the only good plan plus GH got Aerosmith too. I mean there are a lot of real famous old bands you could use. What about Kiss? I mean there are many they could choos from. Even try a different Genre. Maybe a country version or some other type of music.

10. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

the LARGE part of doing ALOT of other Bands/Groups is LICENSING....

and I highly doubt they'd do any other Genre's of music--let alone try--

I wouldn't mind seeing some Country music(like 1990's)--but I don't think there's a big-enough target audience for a "Country Hero" game...

the series is done anyways....

11. Mason

I'm just giving out ideas it could be any other music genre. About the licensing I would definitely try to get the GNR one done because they're still very popular today and would be an easy seller.

12. SHADOWEDINSHRED

SHADOWEDINSHRED New Member New Member

I got bored with Guitar Hero.
    So have alot of people.
    I mean with Rock Band, you can buy more songs...

But Guitar Hero only had a long list of songs which will get tiring...
    I mean, it's a music game and just like real music, you like it alot at first then you get tired of it and look for something better.

Another thing-
    Dont give ol' Gene the idea of an ALL Kiss music game...
    And the thing with GNR, is they weren't that legendary...
    Ask anybody who likes GNR why they like them, and they'll say Slash or Axel...

And plus, they've broken up...
    Try getting all of the originals together to film them in mo-cap...
    What? Do you want a virtual Axel Rose to storm off of the stage all pissed off and ruining the show? No...

13. Mason

First of all Shadow it's Axl not Axel. Second they've alreay got a mocap of Slash from Guitar Hero 3. Plus I know at least for the 360 and Wii of the games you can get new music on there.