Classic RPG's

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by FyreeTSG, Feb 11, 2011.

1. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

Anyone have any favorite Classic RPGs??

Super Mario RPG
    --one of my alltime favorite games, and one of the best SNES games ever

2. Goku

Goku Member Junior Member

Yeah I agree, I've got Super Mario RPG on VC. It's one of my favorites.

3. Pocketim

Pocketim Active Member Junior Member Let's Play Team

And now we wait for the post from Leezy showing her hatred for Super Mario RPG xD (I'm just kidding around, Leezy =P)

I really like the Earthbound games myself. I'm not TOO big on classic RPGs, but the Earthbound games stood out to me.

Oh, and Pokémon, of course =)

4. JamestheFreak

JamestheFreak New Member New Member

Its all about Paper Mario, the perfect RPG.

5. Pocketim

Pocketim Active Member Junior Member Let's Play Team

I personally think Thousand Year Door is better, but yes, Paper Mario games are absolutely fantastic, and I wish more RPGs were like them. I don't usually think of them as classic RPGs though, since they were so ahead of all the other RPGs!

6. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

Well, Paper Mario was ORIGINALLY called "Super Mario RPG 2" in Japan--so it still counts.
    as does "PM:TTYD", saying its a direct sequel, and is still RPG/turn-based.

I call em' the "Mario RPG Trilogy"

7. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

Well even Super Mario RPG was ahead of it's time with the whole action command system which would make some question if it falls under "classic" RPG but then again the word classic does mean different things to different folks.

As for me I would defiantly have to include Pokemon and if we're defining classic by the fact of being turn based I would have to include Golden Sun. But if we're going by age I don't think the game would count, but it still feels like a "classic" to me. :)

8. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Member Junior Member

I consider Chrono Trigger to be both the greatest Square RPG and the greatest SNES game of all time!

[​IMG]

There are other RPGs with epic stories that include multiple surprising twists and affords multiple alternate endings, side quests, extra playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios!

Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed your party to grow together and not separately, learning special character specific team-work moves!