Donkey Kong Country Returns

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii' started by Friik, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Friik

Friik Member Junior Member

Donkey Kong returns along with Diddy to their classic side-scrolling roots. (Y)

Any thoughts on this game?

It's an excellent game, it really revives the old SNES style gameplay.
    It's one of the better games compared to the ones on the GC.
    There's a massive amount of levels to explore, I really mean EXPLORE.
    Each level has jigsaw pieces you have to collect to unlock extra content (Music, Art and Dioramas)
    I still don't have a single diorama... those jigsaw pieces are difficult to find sometimes.
    Expect to come back to some levels many times.
    (There's your replay value)

Music is good and so are the GFX.
    There's classic DK music along with new tracks. (Y)
    The control scheme is simple, as it uses only the D-pad plus two buttons and a bit of Wiimote shaking.

Two problems I found were that there are no underwater levels.
    What!!!?
    That's what classic DKC was about also.
    Oh and you can't use Diddy, he only tags along and uses his Barrel Jet-Pack to help you plus he adds extra health, which is good I guess.

2. TopherD05

TopherD05 New Member New Member

Yes i agree that it is a great game. I need to get back to playing the rest of the game.

I also know that there is a way to play as Diddy Kong but its only through the multi-player playing with someone else which does suck if you only play the game by yourself.

3. Goku

Goku Member Junior Member

Seems like a great game, I need to try it out.

4. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

I love the series--but I wasn't a huge fan of DKC on SNES--maybe cause I'm TERRIBLE at it...

but the game looks AWESOME...

I don't think i'd get it--cause its one of those "Wiimote-Waggle" control style games

5. Friik

Friik Member Junior Member

Not entirely man.
    I'd say about 20% (Not accurate >_>) is Wiimote shaking.
    Thr rest is your classic jumping and hold down the button to dash.

6. Pocketim

Pocketim Active Member Junior Member Let's Play Team

Overall, I thought it was a decent game, but in my opinion, no-where near the greatness of the SNES games. 4 things brought it down for me.

1: Attacking by shaking the Wiimote. It's not a HUGE part of the game, but I find it can be a little unresponsive, and over-used (I'd say it's more about 25-30% of the game)

2: Can't play as Diddy alone.

3: A bit too easy. 4 hit points and the forgiving continues make the game look like a joke compared to the SNES classics

4: Co-op was lazily done. Really feels like they just slapped a second character in there. The game hasn't been changed at all to make it more co-op friendly. Heck, on occasions such as riding the rhino and minecart, both players can control, leading to arguments about who's playing when if you haven't organized yourself first. Why couldn't there just be two rhinos, or two minecarts?

It's still fun, and I love the collectables, but I dunno. I kind of have mixed thoughts about it.

7. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

Let me get this out right now, Donkey Kong Country is THE best co-op game for the Nintendo Wii! Yes that includes New Super Mario Bros. Wii, because unlike NSMBW, YOU CANT KILL EACH OTHER so you actually get to play together instead of fighting against each other. >_<

But really, it's a great challenge, (especially in co-op, the game shows no mercy just because you're playing with friends), but you never actually get mad at the game just like DKC games of old.

My only complaint is the fact that K.Rool nor the Kritters couldn't even be worked in the game as a cameo. It's like having a Mario game without Bowser, it can still be fun but if you're a die-hard fan it feels like something is missing. But it doesn't distract from the gameplay at all.

Oh and if the game does get too hard for you there's plenty of chances to buy more lives, health, and even invisablity that kind-of works more like a super extended health bar than invistablity, so I would highly recommend at least giving it a shot. There's also suppose to be a super guide like in Galaxy 2 and a certain other game... but I've never ran into it yet.... maybe it's because I 99% of the time play the game in co-op and the super guide doesn't show up in that mode?

Oh and for those of you worried about "waggle controls", don't. I don't even see the fuss, if you're used to shaking the Wiimote to spin in New Super Mario Brothers Wii the shaking to attack will come just about as nessary... though waggle controls do remind me of a funny review of the game. :p
    http://normalboots.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=11&lang=en

8. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

--yeah, but in SMBWii, you're not using the nunchuk...

and K.Rool, and the Kritters probably AREN'T in it due to the fact that RARE probably didn't sign-off for their usage.

9. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

For the first point you can play with just the Wiimote without the nunchuck take it from me, I play without the nunchuck all the time. I actually forgot for a sec you can use the nunchuck with that game... can you play it with the nunchuck?

For the second point. I don't think it stopped K.Rool AND the Kritters from being in Mario Super Sluggers.