Will 3DS be the End of the Handheld?

Discussion in 'Nintendo 3DS' started by FyreeTSG, Feb 11, 2011.

1. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

I recently saw a news article on CheatCC.com--stating that with the upcoming launch of the Nintendo 3DS, and the soon-to-be PSP2, or NGP, that this final pairing of Handheld gaming devices MAY mark the end of the Handheld business.

With Smart Phones, like the iPhone, Droid, and others--which can handle up to 80% of what an actual Handheld Game Systemcan--and more people opting for something that can "multi-task" over something with games valued up to $50--who's to say what will become of Handheld Gaming in general in the next few years.

Nintendo's 3DS looks to be pretty much the pinnacle of what can be done on a Handheld--3D gaming, Movies, online, and a ton of other features that NO one, outside of Nintendo's "Brain Trust", could've ever thought possible.

Look back 20+ years, to the launch of Nintendo Gameboy--the "Grandfather" of the Handheld family that's helped Nintendo dominate the Handheld business.

If you're like me, and remember the Gameboy Color being "revolutionary", the GBA being "mind-blowing", and the DS being "something I'd never thought I'd see"--then look at the 3DS and what do you say?

What else can be done, in minature form.

The 3DS will be graphically on-par to the XBOX 360, and PS3--and it's a HANDHELD!

What will they do next?

Short of surgically implanting a Gaming device in your brain??

I know, in the gaming industry, the sky's the limit--but that sky does end eventually, doesn't it?

---FyreeTSG

2. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

I don't think handheld consoles will end quite that easy. 'Cause for one if they do I'll never be able to game again since I'm never around my own console enough to play it, and I want nothing to do with iPod and phone games, (especially ones I have to pay for), they don't seem the same to me. There will always be a market for portable gamers, not all of them will ever be appealed by what muti-task iPods and phones can do.

And as for reaching the limits of portable gaming, there may not be ways to improve it at the moment but let us not forget that the 3DS isn't even out yet and consoles usually go for 3-5 years before a new one is made. By that time new technology will be made and improved and there will be plenty of ways for Nintendo to surprise us again. I know when I saw the DS I didn't think they could get better but lord and behold they did.

Basically, I say lets wait till the 3DS at least comes out and have a chance in the market before we truly start speculating whether it's Nintendo's last portable console...

3. Mason

Mason Well-Known Member Junior Member

Well, I mean what more can they do to the handheld system. Look at all it can do with the upcoming 3DS. What more is there, think about. Plus like Fyree said Smart phone are now coming in and can multi task. They'd have to come up with something good to keep handhels alive.

4. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

thanks Mason :D

I hear what you're saying JackitK--but what more can they do in a limited-in-size handheld system??
    I mean for $250, people will be getting all they could ask for(that's reasonable/plausible) in a handheld...

Plus 3D seems to be the pinnacle of just about everything out now, and unless some company considers delving into "Virtual" technology, and can SUCCEED--then I'm not sure what else can be done.

yeah, consoles have a 5 year lifespan, and handhelds seem to last as long until the next BIG thing comes out...

but what else would Nintendo, or anyone, be willing to do in a handheld--and not take the focus away from Consoles?

the 3DS will be far superior to the Wii, and who knows what the next Console will be either....

5. JackitK

JackitK New Member New Member

Well I'm not sure what will be next, but since when has anyone been able to tell what will be next? I just say it's too early to call the end of the handhelds. The future is full of innovations in the world and there is always way to improve things with improving technology.

Plus if portable gaming goes to apple where will I go? Defiantly not to my iPod. Gaming is one of the last things I want to do on it especially if Nintendo doesn't make stuff for it.

6. Mason

Mason Well-Known Member Junior Member

Well, looking how technology has come just in the last couple of decades. So there may certainly be a new and exciting piuece of technology come out soon.

7. SHADOWEDINSHRED

SHADOWEDINSHRED New Member New Member

The PSP2 is a smartphone too?
    Hmmm... Well, ok, yes...
    The Nintendo 3DS is a landmark for this decade... I never thought so much could happen in a few years... I mean, 3 years ago i had a cheap sliding phone...
    Now (apparently) i have a cheap smart phone...

I also never thought anything will be better than the GBA when i first got it... Then came the lite then the DS...

But now Nintendo has blown away my imagination just by telling us what it's capable of doing...

So, i believe, technology will keep advancing and with that, so will gaming and the devices the can play on.