Your Favorite Past Nintendo System

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming' started by Spiral, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Spiral

Spiral Member New Member

What was your favorite past Nintendo console or handheld? Mine would be the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, or SNES. So many favorite games of mine such of Super Mario World, Donkey Kong County, Tetris Attack, Super Castlevania IV, and several others were on there. Good times. :D

2. Mason

Mason Well-Known Member Junior Member

Mine is the N64, I kow it's not that old to some but that was my first system. I've still got it. Some of my favorite games are Super Smash Bros., Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, DK64, and Star Wars(don't remember which one).

3. FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG New Member

SNES, N64, and Gamecube---

But SNES and N64 had SO many great games that I still love.

4. Friik

Friik Member Junior Member

The Super NES.
    It had all the best games:
    MegaMan X-X2-X3
    Super Metroid
    Donkey Kong Country 1-2-3
    Killer Instinct
    The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

I still have all of these games except Zelda.

5. TopherD05

TopherD05 New Member New Member

I would have to say its a tie between Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Gamecube. they both were the systems that helped me to become more of a Nintendo gamer. Ocarina of time and Super Mario 64 are classics, as well as Wind Waker and some of the other games for Gamecube.

6. JamestheFreak

JamestheFreak New Member New Member

The N64 for me, has my favorite games on it.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member New Member

this

8. Blitz

Blitz New Member New Member

My favorites are the Super NES, N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, and Nintendo Gamecube due to having some of my favorite games and gaming franchises.

9. Goku

Goku Member Junior Member

Yeah mines the SNES too. So many great games.

10. aboleth_lich

aboleth_lich Member Junior Member

Even though the original 8-bit NES was my first console and my introduction to gaming as a very young lad, the 16-bit Super Nintendo edges it out as my favourite console (Nintendo or otherwise) and holds a special place in my heart!

The initial, long awaited release of the SNES was deeply gratifying after quite some time of enduring Sega's jeers that their Genesis did what "Nintendon't!" Nintendo's 16-bit response was well worth that wait! And frankly, taking the time to ensure a quality release is infinitely preferable to rushing an inferior product to the market! (A principle I wish other video game companies would take to heart!)

The SNES went well beyond merely re-capturing the charm of its NES father and upgrading it to the 16-bit level: instead of the NES' blend of true classics and atrocious shovel-ware, the SNES had one of the greatest and most varied libraries of truly phenomenal games of pretty much any console from my youth! (My two favourite SNES games are Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid.)

Moreover, the SNES' controller was absolutely perfect! Earlier controllers were much less ergonomic and either had too few buttons or had way too many buttons and looked like a calculator or a TV remote! Later controllers were unwieldly, convoluted messes that were difficult to adopt and had too many buttons--the N64 being the worse offender on that score. Sony's PlayStation controllers were a return to the SNES' controller's reasonable and preferable form!

11. SirRidge

SirRidge Member Junior Member

It wasn't my first system by any means, but I have to say N64. It was the console where I made the conscious decision to go from a "person who plays games sometimes" to a "gamer".

12. JoshSmith100

JoshSmith100 New Member Verified Member

I would have to say my favorite is the Nintendo Gamecube with the Nintendo 64 close behind. Both of these consoles I played almost religiously and can still be entertained by them today.